Mount Zion A.M.E. Church

The Religious Society of Free Africans of the City of Trenton was founded in 1811 as the city’s first African-American religious organization. In 1817, the church was reorganized by Bishop Richard Allen and joined the African Methodist Episcopal(A.M.E.), becoming one of the state’s earliest A.M.E. congregations. After worshiping in the cooper shop of Sampson Peters  for several years, the congregation purchased the current lot on Perry Street in 1818 and erected a church building a year later. The name was changed in 1834 to Mount Zion. In 1849, the church hosted a statewide convention for Black voting rights. The first church building was enlarged in 1858 and replaced by the existing building in 1876. The new church was referred to in one source as “the cathedral of the New Jersey Conference” of the A.M.E. church (Morgan 1887). The Mount Zion A.M.E. congregation recently moved from this location; the building is now used by the Ebenezer Full Gospel Community Church. The Mount Zion A.M.E. Church is now located at 42 Pennington Road.

Address: 135 Perry Street, Trenton, NJ 08618

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site