Eclectic Club

The Eclectic Club was founded by prominent African-American residents in 1877. Incorporated the following year, the club was notable as an early social organization for the Black elite. From circa 1877 to 1891, the clubhouse was located in rented space at 4 North Broad Street in the same building as The Sentinel office, above G.W. Grant & Son dry goods store. In 1891, the Eclectic Club moved to the third floor of 6 North Broad Street, where it remained until closing in 1915. At the time of its closure, the Eclectic Club was reportedly the oldest organization of its type in the United States in continuous existence and the oldest club in the city. Notable club members included R. Henri Herbert and his brother John, both of whom served as the organization’s president. From 1880-1883, the offices of The Sentinel, a Black newspaper published by R. Henri Herbert, were also located in this building.

Address: 4 North Broad Street, Trenton, NJ 08608

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site