Jackson Hall

Jackson Hall was the first school established by the Trenton Board of Education
for the city’s African-American children. Prior to its usage as a schoolhouse, the
building had served as a meeting hall for the city’s Black residents. By the 1850s,
the building was known as “Nightmare Hall” due to its dilapidated condition. This
early schoolhouse was razed in 1855; at the time, the school housed 63 African-
American students. The building is no longer extant.

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site