The Sentinel Office

The Sentinel was Trenton’s first – and one of the state’s earliest – Black newspapers. Founded by R. Henri Herbert (1857-1909), a Trenton native, the newspaper was “staunchly Republican” and enjoyed the second largest circulation of Trenton’s 11 weekly newspapers. Herbert became an influential spokesperson through The Sentinel and articles in contemporary publications including the A.M.E. Church Review (1884) and Colored American Magazine (1907). Herbert’s fealty to the Republican party was rewarded with appointments as doorkeeper of the New Jersey Senate (1881-1883) and as commissioner to the New Orleans Cotton Centennial in 1884 and the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo in 1901. Publication of The Sentinel ceased in 1883, when the paper was merged with the Trenton Herald. Herbert later operated a cigar business in Trenton. Herbert was a member of the Eclectic Club, which had its club rooms in the upper floors of the same building from 1877-1915.

Address: 4 North Broad Street, Trenton, NJ 08608

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site