Union Republican Club

During the Reconstruction period following the Civil War, Republican clubs were established by African-American communities throughout the nation. In Trenton, at least three such clubs existed during this period. The Union Republican Club was established around 1870 and met at 31 Bellevue Avenue; in addition to engaging in political discussions and advocating for the community’s interests, the club participated in parades, picnics, and rallies. It is unclear how long the Union Republican Club was active in the community, or whether they owned this property or met in a private home. It is currently a private residence.

Address: 31 Bellevue Avenue, Trenton, NJ 08638

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site