YMCA Montgomery Street Branch

The Montgomery Street Branch of the YWCA opened in 1927 to serve the African-American community.  The property was given to the YWCA by the Bible Readers’ Aid Society, which had operated the Montgomery Street Mission in the building during the early twentieth century.  The YWCA branch was immediately successful, attracting 170 members in the years after its opening.  During World War II, the Montgomery Street Branch hosted special events for Black servicemen and sent groups of young women to dances at Fort Dix on a regular basis.  In 1944, the YWCA opened its main branch to all women, regardless of race, and in 1950 the Montgomery Street Branch closed and the property was sold.

Address: 336 North Montgomery Street, Trenton, NJ 08608

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site