Lincoln School

The Lincoln School was erected in 1923, the fourth and final school building constructed exclusively for the education of African-American children in Trenton.  The school initially served both elementary and middle school students; those who continued their education beyond ninth grade attended Trenton High School.  By 1928, the school could no longer accommodate the city’s population of Black school-aged children, and the elementary students were moved back to the old Lincoln School (Bellevue Avenue Colored School).  The Lincoln School continued as a segregated facility until 1946, when the first white students were admitted.  Lincoln School principal Patton J. Hill, an African-American, remained at the integrated school until his retirement in 1958, thus becoming one of the nation’s first Black principals to serve a school with white students.

Address: 400 North Montgomery Street, Trenton, NJ 08618

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site