Spring Street Historic District

Spring Street Historic District became an African American middle class hub during the 1920s through the 1950s.

Spring Street emerged in the 1930s as a predominately African American middle class hub. The two block section located between Calhoun Street and N. Willow Street was the center of business for the African American residents of Trenton. Notable indiviuals who lived in the area included – Civil Rights attorney Robert Queen and New York City’s first African American mayor, David Dinkins.

The section is comprised of two to three story, frame and brick dwellings. The houses in the eastern section of the district were erected before 1870 and include a number of Italianate-style dwellings.

During the 1940s and 1950s, The Negro Motorist Green Book was published to assist African-American travelers to find accommodations during the era of segregation. Locations for shelter included two tourist homes, one restaurant, a beauty parlor, and a barber shop, all located on Spring Street.

Two important sites on Spring Street were the YMCA Community Branch and St. Monica’s Episcopal Church.

Picture of Spring Street Historic District below:

 

 

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site