Gen. Philemon Dickinson House

Gen. Philemon Dickinson House, is located in Trenton, New Jersey.

It was built by the Rutherford family in the mid-18th century. General Philemon Dickinson (1739-1809) bought it in late 1776, as a rural retreat along the Delaware River, and named it “The Hermitage.” He lived here with wife Mary Cadwalader and children, Mary and Samuel.

During his partial term as U.S. Senator from New Jersey (1790-93), Dickinson hosted First Lady Martha Washington as a houseguest (May 17-19, 1791). President John Adams was frequently entertained during the summer of 1798, when yellow fever in Philadelphia caused the federal government to evacuate to Trenton, although he lodged at a nearby hotel. Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton were reportedly guests, along with Frenchmen General Rochambeau, Joseph Bonaparte, and Louis Philippe (later King of France).

The house was extensively remodeled in the Italianate Style in the mid-19th century. In the mid-20th century, the street grid was expanded around the house (note that the building sits at an angle to Colonial Avenue). The house has been converted into apartments.

The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1974. Trenton Historical Society lists it as one of the top ten endangered buildings in the city.

Address: 46 Colonial Ave, Trenton, NJ 08618

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site