Trenton Saving Fund Society

The Trenton Saving Fund Society was incorporated in 1844 and began business on July 20, 1847, in an office in the original Trenton City Hall. After moving several times, the managers decided to build a new banking house at the current location on East State Street, which was completed in April 1901. The white granite, steel structure building, designed by New York architects Moweray and Affinger in the Beaux Arts style, is one of Trenton’s most beautiful buildings. An equally distinguished classical vocabulary was used on the building’s interior, intended to give all who did business there a sense of pride and security. The central banking room’s stained glass ceiling was covered over with acoustic tiles as part of an ill-advised modernization. Now vacant for several years, the building shows definite signs of deterioration, neglect and vandalism. This building is labeled as endangered.

Address: 125 East State Street, Trenton, NJ 08608

Comments are closed.

Switch to our mobile site